Life around here...

We have had more than our fair share of ups and downs over here. A week ago Kate went to homecoming with a date and had a wonderful time. I loved her sparkly, emerald green dress and while the grandmothers pointed out just how terribly short the dress was (and they're not wrong) every single girl wears a shorty, short dress. I saw a funny meme the other day that said something to the affect of; I wonder if women in the 40s knew they're bathing suits would become this generations homecoming dress. Google it and you will understand.

My favorite photo of the night. Kate looks so happy here.

Kate and her date went to dinner with friends at Texas Roadhouse and, with time to spare before the dance, they played video games at Chuck E Cheese. Kate said they had a lot of laughs and that alone makes my heart so happy.




A couple of days after homecoming Kate and I drove up to Rochester for pre-scheduled MRIs on her brain and spine. Images looked stable and we came home happy and surprised, primarily because Kate has been suffering through fairly intense spine pain. Because of the pain, Mayo made adjustments to meds and yet the spine pain did not let up. So on Thursday last week she got called up to visit the hospital for a lumbar puncture and various tests. Good news is that those tests were encouraging but still no source for the pain was identified so we came home a couple of days later with yet another new med. That new med proved to be awful on Kate and we thankfully were given the okay to stop dosing immediately. Now she is recovering from side effects while the medication leaves her system. 

How much can one teenage girl endure? It's difficult for me to remain empathetic to others' blight from toothaches, ear infections, even broken bones when you have watched your own child power through the unimaginable. I don't know why this is all happening to her, and to us, but God made Kate unbelievably strong. Stronger than I can even put into words. I guess I cannot overlook our own strength. I could tell so many stories and yet no one reading this, besides our family, could ever fully grasp a true understanding of what Kate has withstood and everything we've been witness to in the last 27 months. I should be compelled to never complain again.

Side note: Enjoy this Muppet-like fern from the the St. Mary's hospital. It is my favorite and I hate that I know exactly where in the hospital to go to visit it.


Some other favorites from Rochester include Flapdoodle's legendary ice cream and this amazing sign in a town on our route to Rochester. I finally stopped to snap a picture because it makes us chuckle every time.



We had previously made plans to help out with my niece, Summer, while her parents were vacationing and my in-laws were set to attend a class reunion. Babysitting day fell on the same day Kate and I returned from the hospital but Summer's visit was a welcomed distraction and we had so much fun with her. Although she put her strawberries in her mac and cheese at dinner so that was a little cringy but girlfriend loved it. If she loves cheesy strawberries then I love cheesy strawberries.




Finally we welcome October, and hopefully a change for the better, with open arms. October is Natalie's birthday month and she's ready for her time to shine. Let us welcome in October with the newest member of the family, Mariah Scary. :)











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...