Summer closer...

Summer has flown by this year. Maybe it's keeping up with Maddie, or all of the sport camps, or maybe the fantastic trip to Clear Lake and Okoboji. I obviously have a lot of blogging to catch up on. Somehow though it is August and school starts in less than three weeks. We have our first potentially rainy day in a long time so I imagine this will be a day filled with board games and television...and hopefully no fighting.

Maddie has stopped napping this summer. I've attempted to hang two baby gates, one on top of the other, so she cannot leave her room. Unfortunately for me she has learned to climb over both of them. If I tie or hold her door shut for an hour or so she will eventually give in and sleep. Overall though Maddie not napping has been mostly a good thing because it opens up our schedule, allowing us to visit the pool when we want. I imagine this will just be a long, challenging phase of transitioning into a no nap life for here on out. Hard to imagine we've entered the stage of life with no napping little kids.

Speaking of the pool, the girls and I have logged a lot of hours at the pool this summer. Natalie has reached the necessary height to go down the big, red, twisty slide which thrilled her to no end. AND the next day I tested her and she could swim well enough to jump off the diving board by herself. She proceeded to jump off 8,241 times in one afternoon. And it made my heart soar! To continue with her adventures, the very next day, Natalie boldly marched up the high dive ladder and without blinking an eye, jumped off the end of the board. Again, my heart was soaring. Oh, and not to be outdone, Natalie also started dance lessons this summer. She has begged me for quite some time to take ballet and while she does enjoy the lesson, she isn't interested in practicing. I think lessons may end after this summer. But she is a pretty ballerina. :)

I bought a tent this summer and we tried family camping for the first time!
Matt took Maddie home for the overnight. Great time had by all!




Kate has been an unbelievable help this summer. She has been sweet, and courteous, and helpful with household chores and with keeping an eye on Maddie when another girl needs something. Kate has also been busy with various sports including wrapping up soccer at the start of the summer, softball, basketball camps, and a volleyball camp. Oh, and how could I forget her endless trips to the pool, even when the rest of us weren't able to be there.

CJ has enjoyed her time reading, swimming, and living life in her own world. CJ also wrapped up soccer at the start of summer, played her first year of coach-pitch softball, and participated in two basketball camps.

Natalie found many beautiful treasures while school shopping. She loves pretty things.


Matt finished his second year playing for the CourtKings and has officially retired from playing professional basketball. He has since bought new golf clubs and is trying to get back to playing more golf. He is, of course, busy at work and planning for another year of coaching girls basketball.

Me...I'm slowly getting back to running as I figure out what may really be wrong with my hip. I'm set to run my first 5K in forever this coming Saturday. It will be slow but the goal is to finish, not to set a PR. I have also been loving summer because I am a summer girl at heart but I am beginning to feel the pull of getting everyone back into a routine. School is good for everyone. Not that I don't enjoy spending more time with all of my girls, because I do, but some days are more challenging than others with so many bodies asking mom for so many things. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...