The countdown returns...

I nearly started this blog post with a big lie. And then I thought, why not tell the truth? So here goes... I have not been posting to my blog. That is obvious. But the reason is not because I am busy. I intended to claim extreme busyness but then I sat back and thought tis not so. (That is not a typo. I am currently reading a book set in 1920 and tis tis so commonly used back then.)

No rather than feign busyness I will tell the truth. My time, any time, that is free I have been filling with many other things. I am reading two great books. The first is called "The Paris Wife: A Novel" by Paula McLain. It is about the wife of Ernest Hemingway. Now don't blindly label me a scholar for I am certainly not. Rather it is a pretty interesting story about how Hemingway and his wife Hadley met, fell in love and began their lives in Paris in the 1920s among flappers and too much booze. (I love flappers...primarily because of their adorable short haircuts and swingy skirts.) The second book is both very good and significantly different than the previous. It is "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp and it is such a thinker of a book that I asked for it for Christmas so I can have a copy of my own to mark up. (I kinda figured the library would look down on me if I highlighted and jotted down notes in their copy.)

Other time fillers have included panicky, sweaty moments about not having my Christmas shopping done. I hope to hire a babysitter this week so I can get it all squared away. I am very much looking forward to doing this. Shopping without kids is almost a vacation. No offense to my children, of course.

I have also been dabbling in crossword puzzles, Sudoku and too much television which I secretly (or not so secretly) love. Once the girls lay their heads down for the night Matt and I literally sprawl ourselves out on the living room furniture and do our very best at imitating sloths. But maybe I shouldn't speak for Matt so I'll just say I am very sloth-like...with a bowl of ice cream in hand. I suppose real sloths don't like ice cream.

Despite books and TV and sloth-like tendencies I really want to turn a small bit of my attention back to my blog. I like writing. And I love having documentation of our small days. Over the past few years I have done a daily blog post to count down the days until Christmas. Not surprisingly I neglected to do so this year but it is better to start now than to never start at all. So...here we go.


This picture was snapped just before we left for the girls' Sunday School Christmas program where Kate sang with gusto like a good girl and CJ took turns either twirling, audibly yawning, plugging her ears or yelling "HI MOM" from the front of the church. Oh and Natalie munched on cereal and made goofy faces at the woman in the pew in front of us. Let's hope I get an "8 days" photo posted tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...