Me...

It is really quite easy to lose yourself in motherhood. Sure you become absorbed in all things concerning your children but if you're not careful you can also lose your own identity. I not only woke up to the idea that I am fully submerged in my children but that I also care too much about what others might think. And the reality is that everyone is really more concerned about themselves to notice me or you so why am I trying so hard to please everyone. So I started to reach out to all of those things that make me, me. 

We stayed in a hotel last weekend with Matt's parents. It was Natalie's first time in a pool. I think she is Olympics bound.

For example, I really dislike having long hair. I feigned long hair love for years but finally decided to liberate myself for the only thing I truly enjoy about long hair is putting into a ponytail. So I chopped it off. I feel like a 1920's flapper minus the swingy skirt, sparkly headband and booze.

Kate doesn't have any real cousins but there are days when she resembles Cousin Itt from the Adam's Family. So I gave her this hairstyle and I was able to see her adorable face all night. Oh, and she didn't eat a bunch of hair at dinner.

Just yesterday I downloaded a few of my favorite songs from childhood, played them at eardrum splitting volumes and taught the girls how to Walk Like an Egyptian and all the words to Everybody Have Fun Tonight by Wang Chung. Runner-up songs include The Loco-Motion, Don't Worry Be Happy and my favorite song from Kindergarten...Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. 


And while my house plays host to fairly tame colors and patterns I would ideally like to drape everything in polka-dots, stripes and chevron. But let's be honest, it would be a blinding nightmare so I instead bought a polka-dot sweater I've been longing for. I run to my mailbox every afternoon hoping it is in there. No luck yet but once it arrives I may never take it off.

Sorry for the blurry picture but I loved her pose here. She was teaching me a song about hot dogs. I'm still uncertain what the words are.
  
And that is really about it. There is, of course, more to me than 80's music, shorter hair and polka-dots but I feel a little self identity has returned. Paying myself this attention has helped me remember that everyone else has their own identities and how great that really is. Kate is sweet, smart, sensitive and really goofy. CJ is witty, kind, stubborn and sassy while Natalie is laid back, relaxed and so smiley you just want to kiss her little cheeks all day. We all have our own God given identities so embrace them and love everyone for who they are.




Comments

Julie Ulven said…
Um, I need a photo of shorter hair cut, please. I bet it looks fab! Good for you doing a little mommy work over!
Good for you, Sarah! There better be a picture of you and your new hairdo wearing the polka dot sweater in the next post! :)
Dawn said…
I totally relate to this post and appreciate you writing it! Hope your new polka dot sweater and shorter hair make you feel more you!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...