I'm high maintenance...

I've become a little obsessed with iced coffee this summer. Have I mentioned that? Oh yes, I said that just yesterday. Then I guess it is pretty obvious. Iced coffee and I think about each other a lot. But iced coffee from Starbucks or whatever local hippie brew shoppe is not exactly in the everyday budget. I've attempted to pour cooled coffee over ice but it tastes like old, bitter coffee disguised with sugar. Yesterday, however, while my girls were away playing at grandma's and grandpa's I got the crazy notion to attempt making Pioneer Woman iced coffee. I've heard it tastes great but the time and effort put into it will cause you to go gray. I decided to try it anyway and I'm so glad I did.


Despite the rumors, it was actually quite simple. You can find her recipe here if you want to try it for yourself. She makes a month's supply at a time. I cut it down significantly. I also used paper towels instead of cheesecloth because who has cheesecloth lying around waiting for you to make delicious iced coffee. And instead of using plain old ice cubes I froze day old coffee into cubes. I really like that touch. The coffee cubes kept the flavor strong instead of watered down. 


And it looks like my iced coffee home brewing couldn't have come at a better time. Temps are expected to rise again into the mid 90's and Kate was just gifted her first pair of tie shoes which has caused her to bawl her eyes out at least five times this morning. I may need to go refill my cup. (Psst...in case you're starting to wonder about my caffeine consumption, I made decaf iced coffee so baby doesn't get the jitters.) Happy day to you!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...