Serenity now...

There are days I have to channel my inner George Costanza... you know, that short, bald head guy from Seinfeld. During moments of complete meltdown by the girls I just want to yell, "Serenity Now!" Doing so provides little to no serenity but it at least gives me a smile.


In my motherhood quest for simplicity I have learned the road is not a simple, straight-forward path. In fact, the road to destination simplicity takes many twists. Sometimes it overlaps itself and you find yourself almost back at the starting line located in Insanity City. 

Insanity City is a town of overstuffed drawers, piles of papers and general unorganized chaos. While it feels lonely in Insanity City, I imagine the true population is in the millions.  


Right now I am somewhere in the middle of the road on my destination to simplicity. I have boxed up toys no one cares for, I've sorted through a few drawers long forgotten and untouched and I have begun the arduous process of separating clothes by size and season. 


Yesterday, despite the threat of rain, the girls and I packed up and drove out to my 'happy place' where you hear birds rather than cars and throwing stones into a lake is just as entertaining as Scooby Doo. 


A visit to my 'happy place' makes me want to live in the country and grow my own food. I was enjoying the peaceful ripples from the water and dreaming of being a pioneer. That is, of course, until one of the girls needed the bathroom. And then I said, "Thank God for modern plumbing! Let's go home!"


So now we're back in our City house with fancy toilets, running water and piles of things unwanted.  Simplicity may never be completely attained with small kids in the house but I'm making an effort to at least give the idea a try.


And when the house returns to Insanity City, I think the girls and I will just visit our 'happy place.'
The simplicity quest is never ending it seems, and maybe that is okay.


Comments

Very profound and true. I'm with you all the way...

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...