Mother's Day...

I have days when I'm not really sure how to answer the question, "how many kids do you have?" I have two biological daughters. I have a baby on the way. I have a Kuwaiti host daughter. And I have a cat (who is also a girl) that follows me around like a daughter. It's a life I never really dreamed up but it is mine and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Dina blowing out the candles of her 16th birthday ice cream sandwich cake. So delicious!

When I was a kid I'd imagine having twins, a boy and a girl. I planned to name the boy Daniel and the girl Danielle, because that is how a little kid brain works. This, to me, was an awesome idea so surely it will work out in real life.


Grandma Smith, CJ and Kate watching Dina open her birthday gifts.

Some women spend their entire childhood dreaming of the day they will become a mother. It's not really something that often crossed my mind as a kid. I didn't play 'house' with friends. At least not that I can remember. Sure I had a Cabbage Patch Kid that I adored with my whole heart but my mothering practice never went far beyond that. My best memories of kid play was climbing a tree in our front yard, bouncing on a Pogo Ball, learning to skateboard (sometimes face first down hills!), and doing pinwheels and 'penny-drops' off the high bar on the school playground. (Although a girl in school nearly broke her neck performing a 'penny-drop' and was carted away in an ambulance. I didn't attempt too many 'penny-drops' after that.)


Homemade birthday cinnamon rolls!

No, I never thought much about motherhood until two short weeks before I was to graduate with my Master's degree and move into full force career mode that I met a cute law student named Matt and the rest is history. And thanks to him I get to be a mother. And despite the often daily struggles I adore this life. 

The real surprise of this photo is that CJ wasn't wearing anything under the pillowcase. That girl!

Good and bad seems to erupt from each phase the girls pass through. It keeps life interesting and makes you really appreciate what your own mother went through. And your grandmother and your great grandmother and...

Early morning art...


So a big rowdy thanks to my mom, my mother-in-law, my grandmothers and those other fabulous ladies in heaven. Happy Mother's Day to each and every mother out there. I don't expect flowers and lavish gifts but rather a simple, quiet day spent with my family.

Although I wouldn't complain if they decided to wash all the dishes for me. Just sayin'.




Comments

Yes- being a Mother is wonderful and so is being a Grandmother & also a Great Grandmother which you get the cerdit for.

Happy Mother's Day Sarah!
Julie Ulven said…
Oh, I see you do early morning art as well! 6:30 am "Mom! I want to paint." Sure, but first let's get mom some coffee.
Julie Ulven said…
And Happy Mother's Day!!! You're doing a fine job with ALL your girls!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...