Cake...

This year the role of Easter bunny was played by the mister. Mama Bunny couldn't find time to shop without her baby bunnies so Papa had to step in. And I must say he did a nice job. He chose bath toys and silly string. As you may have guessed, silly string was a big hit. It was also a short lived hit. I think the girls sprayed themselves silly (pun intended) in about 3 minutes.




And because we all like to share a good thing let me just tell you about this cake the girls and I made today. We had nothing but afternoon preschool planned. It was a sunny 30 degrees this morning and I wasn't about to dig out the winter coats. So we made a cake for no good reason other than filling empty time.

I don't really like cake. Actually I like the flavors that are least popular such as banana and carrot. White and chocolate I can do without, really. But this morning we made chocolate because quite frankly, I didn't care. Again, I was killing time. So we made Julie Ulven's "Wacky Volcano Cake." I measured and the girls did the rest. The recipe doesn't call for eggs which is good because all of our's are hard boiled right now. Also the cake is supposed to fizz after one step but our's did not. These things don't tend to work out for me.

Wacky Volcano Cake
1 1/2 C flour
1 C sugar
3 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vinegar
5 Tbsp veg oil (although I only had olive oil and it worked fine)
1 C cold water
Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top

In an 8x8" cake pan, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with a fork. Make three wells in the mixture. In one well put vanilla, in another the vinegar and the third the oil. (You will get a fizzy action with the vinegar, unless you are Sarah Craft.) Pour 1 cup cold water over all and stir. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream or simply consume by the handful.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...