March Madness Craft style...

When I was a girl I assumed March Madness had something to do with people going nuts for the start of spring. And while that may be partially true, I have since learned it's true meaning and I love it. Each year I fill out a bracket and enter said bracket into a family team on ESPN. What makes March Madness even better is that Matt takes off Thursday and Friday afternoon, brings home take-out, we put the girls to nap and we gorge ourselves on greasy, delicious foods and hours of basketball. 

Tis true I am a basketball fan but I do not know enough to make educated decisions when filling out my bracket. Matt enjoys my rationale, albeit wrong and inappropriate, and he therefore encouraged me to share my picks on my blog. I have done this for a few years and the tradition continues, starting now...

In the south...
Kentucky v N. Kentucky: This is a 1 seed against a 16 seed. Now I'm no basketball wizard but even I know the odds of this game. I chose Kentucky.

UConn v Iowa State: My marriage is on the line with this pick folks. I chose Iowa State because I want to stay married. Go Clones!

Wichita St v VCU: I really dig that song by The Killers. You know, "I'm going to Wichita, dum, dum, dum, dum, dum..." And I therefore chose Wichita St. Plus I heard they are a mighty fierce team.

Indiana v New Mexico St: I don't really care about either of these schools and I really don't want to live in either state so what to base my selection on? The seed. And I chose #4 Indiana.

UNLV v Colorado: This was a toughie. I love downhill skiing and hippies, to an extent, so my instinct was Colorado. BUT, Colorado left the Big XII and man alive have I heard a lot about this fiasco from Matt the last couple of years. On the other hand, I was present for Iowa State's win over UNLV football a few years ago and I thought UNLV showed little class. I can't remember how it all played out exactly but essentially UNLV was disappointed with a last minute play or a ref's call and so the players refused to leave the field after the game. They even went out to the middle of the football field to stomp on the ISU logo. So again, a tough decision here but I ultimately went with UNLV simply because they were the higher seed. But truly a lot of thought went into this one.

Baylor v S Dakota St: I've watched Baylor play a few times this year and they are a tough team. I also heard an ESPN radio announcer say that S. Dakota St. is going to give Baylor a good run for their money. I selected Baylor. They are kind of brutal.

Notre Dame v Xavier: I really like the movie Rudy so naturally I should go with Notre Dame, right, but Matt always says if we have a son he'd like to name him Xavier and call him "X." I have obviously put a huge veto on that suggestion but I'll give him this win and choose Xavier. This pick is for you, baby!

Duke v Lehigh: Lehigh sounds like a high school from a crappy teenage movie. Duke.

In the West...
Michigan St v LIU: Who? I chose Michigan State

Memphis v Saint Louis: I used to vacation all the time in St Louis when I was a kid plus I am a very laisez faire fan of the St. Louis Cardinals. (Is that the appropriate term?) I chose St. Louis.

New Mexico v Long Beach State: Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre would be so disappointed in me because I went with New Mexico.

Louisville v Davidson: Lousiville. Better seed. Plus I've never heard of Davidson.

Murray St v Colorado St.: A friend from college has the last name of Murray and she is super. I chose Murray St.

Marquette v BYU: Nothing against the Mormons. In fact, I kind of admire them for their convictions. However, I really like the name Marquette. Marquette shall win.

Florida v Virginia: Florida all the way! My heart belongs to the beaches of Florida. Plus Virginia has a former player who gave me the creeps. His name was Pittsnoggle or something like that. And a bunch of their players have lumberjack-style beards. It weirds me out.

Missouri v Norfolk St: Missouri

In the East...
Syracuse v UNC-Ash: Sarah-cuse!!!

Kansas St v So Miss: Wildcats are a fun mascot. K-State.

Vanderbilt v Harvard: Vanderbilt is a higher seed. Although you gotta give credit to those super smarty basketball players over at Harvard for their brains and their bball skills.

Wisconsin v Montana: Wisconsin. I really like cheese. 

Cincy v Texas: Cincy is a better seed although I'd much rather live in Texas. I chose Cincy anyway.

Florida St v St. B: Did you pick up on my love for the State of Florida earlier? Love it!

Gonzaga v W. Virginia: Maybe it was W. Virginia who had the creepy lumberjack beards. I better choose Gonzaga. Plus that name rocks.

Ohio St v Loyola: I have family in Ohio. Word to the Bensons. Ohio St.

In the Midwest... (finally! This has got to be the longest blog post in my history!)
UNC v Lam/UVM: Even though Ames and Cyclone fan, Harrison Barnes, snubbed Iowa State for UNC I still have to choose them. My bracket would be crap if I didn't.

Creighton v Alabama: No interest in living in Alabama and although I'm not 100% sure which state Creighton calls home, I had to choose them to win. 

Temple v Cal/USF: Temple.

Michigan v Ohio: Like I said, I have family in Ohio but I already gave them a shout out. So I'll go with Michigan this time. Plus they are a much higher seed. Who am I kidding here?

SDSU v NC State: The Black Hills and Mount Rushmore are pretty awesome. But NC is home to Biscuitville, my all-time favorite fast food restaurant. I flipped a coin and landed in South Dakota.

Georgetown v Belmont: I used to have a beloved Georgetown sweatshirt that I wore to shreds. I shall choose them in this basketball game too.

St Mary's v Purdue: St Mary's.

Kansas v Detroit: Again, zero interest in living in Detroit. Not after some stories I've heard. Although I do know how to pronounce the City's name like a native. It's Dee-troit. Just thought I'd share in case you want to fit in. Oh yeah, so I chose Kansas. 

So there you have it. My exhausting rationale for my first round picks of the NCAA tournament. Good picks or not, I am excited for the games to begin!





Comments

Kyle said…
"I'm goin' to Wichita" -- You mean "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes? Very good song.

Crazy that there have been lots of songs about Wichita (for a city as small as it is), Seven Nation Army, Wichita Lineman (Glenn Campbell & REM & Johnny Cash) Wichita Skyline (Shawn Colvin), Wichita (the Jayhawks), Wichita Jail (Charlie Daniels Band)... More than enough reason to root for them in the Dance.

Also, are you just giving a backhanded slap to people from Omaha, or are you really not sure where Creighton is?

Fun pics. Good luck!

Kyle K.
Anonymous said…
Pittsnogle and the guy that looks like a lumberjack - I beleive is W. Virginia.

Virginia is the alma mater of Katie Couric - so if you like her -
there still may be time to switch.

Father in law Mike
Love it! Austin had Emily fill out a bracket this year, too. She picked Montana and Missouri to be in the final with Missouri winning it all. Too bad half her bracket is already busted!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...