It's Friday night...

Quite honestly, any time the girls and I make it out of the house on time feels like a God gifted miracle. This morning was no exception as we frantically brushed hair, argued over shoes and gobbled up peanut butter toast at a choking induced pace. But by golly, we made it out the door on time...barely. Mornings don't really bother me all that much. It's a hassle but most mornings we're fortunate enough to have some down time once we get Dina to school.

Friday mornings, however, we travel up to Cedar Falls to attend a mom's group; something I excitedly look forward to all week long. So between Kate announcing I'm driving two miles over the speed limit and CJ fussing over a non-existent cut on her finger, I heard the song, "Tonight's Gonna Be A Good Night" by The Black Eyed Peas. The song worked its magic and I was suddenly excited that today is Friday.


I remember back in college I would be so excited for Friday night, Heck, even when I was married (before kids), Friday was the cherry on top of my long week sundae. But once my little blessings came along Fridays kind of lost it's meaning. Maybe it was because I left the working world to stay home or maybe it's because Matt and I only sleep in when the girls are away from the house. Either way, my weekend days typically feel like a normal week day. I wake up around 6 a.m. to the sounds of CJ's door popping open, feet pitter-pattering to my bedside and the groggy eyed announcement of "I have to go potty." (Which is really an amazing sentence in it's own right but just not at six in the morning.)


So Friday is like Monday and Saturday is another Tuesday.... At least around here it is. Each day has the same routines, nap time is my free time, we still visit the parks and read the same books and fight over desserts. Why it took me five plus years to miss the excitement of a Friday night is beyond me but if I want to feel it again I guess I'll have to be intentional about it.

Tonight we're trying something different. Kate is making supper (after I prepare the homemade pizza dough), we will have a dance party after filling our bellies and between clean-up and bath time we just might have a family movie night. It's not exactly the Friday night I looked forward to back in my 'youth' but it will do for now. Maybe a few peppy songs this afternoon will get us in the mood. And who knows, maybe tomorrow will be the lucky day when everyone sleeps in. Dreamers will dream. And I'm dreaming big right now.

Kate and her medal after completing her first season of tumbling.

Despite my ramblings, this weekend is an exception for me. Think of Matt as he braves it out with the girls while Dina and I get spendy at Mall of America. Also on the agenda.... sleeping in til 7:30 and not helping anyone to the bathroom Sunday morning. It's the little things in life, right? But I must be pretty darn happy with my little family set-up because one thing I'm really looking forward to during my time away is visiting the Hello Kitty store to pick up a gift for the girls.

Happy weekend to you and your family. Tonight's for sure going to be a good night.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy shopping Sarah & Dina.

Have a fun weekend Matt-Kate & Cj.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...