being a stay-at-home mom...

Today I had one of those reassuring I'm-so-glad-I-stay-at-home-with-my-kids kind of moments. It happened while one of my girls was in preschool, which always makes these peaceful, ah-ha moments more possible when you're only dealing with one child at a time. So CJ and I left Kate at preschool and returned home to make a tent out of dining room chairs and old family quilts. I suggested we read books beneath the tent, CJ agreed. I told her to grab the newest Minera Lousie book from the library (because that funny chicken can really give me a chuckle) but CJ instead chose her children's Bible. Props to her for the choice and I quickly felt guilty for wishing she had pulled out Minera instead.


So CJ opens the book and says, "I'm going to find my Jesus." Cue my melting heart. Then she starts to 'read' a story. "Once upon a time there was a guy named Jesus. The end." Now the story wasn't much and she sure isn't ready to start prophesizing to people with a story lacking plot and substance but I thought about what a lucky mom I am. I had this chance to sit, legs crossed, hunched over, listening to my littlest tell stories of Jesus. Every one of our ancestors resting in heaven had to have been smiling right then.


As sweet and satisfying as that moment was I did quickly turn around and make sure she was down for nap 15 minutes later. I mean even the gentlest souls need their rest. But those wonderful moments like the one under our tent this afternoon is what makes the hard days as a stay-at-home mom a distant memory. It's a difficult job, but so worthwhile.





Comments

Harlie's new thing is to read to me at nap/bed time instead of me reading to her. She looks at about two pictures and says something that I usually can't understand and then 'the end'. I tried to read to her but she pretty much refuses.. she wants to read (a bit of a control freak?? I think so.)

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...