Dinner bell...

Meal times lately have been, well...
Spanish: dolor en el trasero
Arabic: ألم في بعقب
French: douleur dans le cul
Dutch: pijn in de kont
English: pain in the butt

Matt, Dina and I are easy to please, generally.
The other two are not.

 I took the girls to Hickory Hills yesterday. The trees were beautiful. It was scenic, peaceful and rejuvenating.

Matt and I typically lay down the law at meal time.
Eat what's on the table or don't eat at all.
But lately I've been thinking about becoming a big softy and giving in.
Not because I feel sympathy for them but rather because my ears can't take the screaming.

Dina and I are convinced these two monkeys were trying to throw themselves into the water.
Thankfully they didn't fall in.

Do you have any recipes that please your brood?
A dish that everyone will eat?
Something that is delicious, crowd pleasing and doesn't come from a box of macaroni and cheese?

Please share if you do! I'm dying to know!
And while their taste buds are ever changing, I do have one recipe that each and every person will eat.
Here you go...give it a try...


Corn & Bean Fritters with Tomatoes
(although I leave out the tomatoes to avoid the crying)

2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed (I use sweet corn, yum!)
1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 - 15.5 oz can butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 6 oz pkg corn bread mix
1 egg
1 tsp chili powder (don't tell your family this is in there or again, more crying)
Olive oil
parsley or cilantro (optional)

1. Coarsely chop, halve and/or slice tomatoes. In small saucepan combine tomatoes, vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/ 4 cup water. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. For fritter batter, in a large bowl mash beans with a fork. Add corn, corn bread mix, egg, ground chilli, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 cup water; stir to combine.
2. Heat a large griddle or 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Drop four 1/2 cup scoops of batter on griddle at a time. Cook 4 minutes per side. Serve fritters with warm tomatoes and parsley and/or cilantro.
Makes 4 servings.


Comments

glsgls said…
You want the recipe for lobster mashed potatoes? It is great, just expensive to make.
glsgls said…
How about a tater tot casserole? Kids like meals with cream of mushroom or cream of chicken. If he hamburger scares them off, try just a little or another meat that you can disguise.
glsgls said…
Throw a little corn in the tater tot casserole.
Sarah Craft said…
Thanks for all the tips, Dad. I haven't made tater tot casserole in a long time. Maybe I should try that again. I can generally get the girls to eat cheese quesadillas and potatoes...but as delicious as the lobster mashed potatoes are, I think I'll hold off on making those for now. And you are right...they do love corn.
Dawn said…
Turkey burgers (with some shredded veggies in them) and sweet potato fries are a staple at our house.

Risotto also works out well (usually).

Homemade mac and cheese along with kielbasa is another great one for fall (or hot dogs).

And Mexican casserole type things with ground beef, cheese, etc. also go over well.

Let me know if you want any recipes. I'm not sure if any of those would work with your family or not.
Julie Ulven said…
Walking tacos, no seriously, if you can get your family to eat anything with butter beans in it, kudos to you. Blech! That would be rejectamenta at our house.

How about corn casserole with chopped up ham and on one end sneak in a few chilies for you.
What on earth will I cook when you come here. Those picky girls & Dina won't eat meat!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...