Remember when...

Sunday late afternoon while the girls took a rest, Dina and I made our way to the mall. Shopping with someone over the age of four gave me time to look at shoes in my size and to examine jeans without elastic or some form of an adjustable waist. I was having flashbacks to my teenage years when I'd patiently peruse the racks of clothes in Vanity in search of the perfect Hypercolor shirt. I found one, by the way. It was stormy sky blue and deep purple and cost a whopping $30. Despite the birthday money I'd stocked away in my room I still didn't have enough, so my Hypercolor shirt was put on layaway. And I diligently returned each Saturday to add another $5 towards making that shirt mine. Sadly, right after I finally bought that shirt I jumped a wire fence while playing with friends and ripped a hole in the front. My heart still aches when I think of it. The word love is overused today but I can honestly say I loved that shirt.

Dina and I visited several stores and had lots of laughs trying on gaudy glasses and oogling over electric blue, high heel shoes that upon wearing in the slightest bit of rain is sure to result in a broken femur. It was a fun afternoon.

Earlier in the day we visited Fall Fest in LPC. Kate and CJ ran through this hay maze a few dozen times.

Despite the fact I was deep in a rare shopping-without-the-girl outing I found myself spending the majority of my time in the kids' section wondering if that green, flower dress will fit Kate or thinking CJ does need some hot pink, zebra print tights. I even wandered into the men's department to pick-up some things for Matt. (I've started shopping for him since his pants-without-a-zipper and shoelaces-held-together-by-duct-tape incidents. But that's a story for another time.)

In the end I left the mall with two shirts for myself so it's not as if I completely forgot to self indulge, but I also walked out with a little excitement in my step. I was returning home with gifts for everyone. I was so anxious to show Kate her treasures I woke her at 8:30 to surprise her with these...



CJ hugged her new jeans this morning and although Matt would have preferred his gift to be a certificate for a round of golf or an ISU autographed football, he left the house looking quite handsome in his new sweater.

I sure as heck don't see anything wrong with indulging in a little shopping for myself, but I really like the fact I had an inner drive to think of my family during my time away. Despite the times they drive me crazy, and I do the same to them, I ache for my wild monkeys during a few short hours away from the circus that is my house.

This is a particularly good feeling as we start the week with a cold and rainy, dreary Monday morning. We are celebrating with a movie, Reese's Peanut Butter cookies and a fashion show. I hope your Monday is just as good!


Comments

I think your girls could be farm kids.

Glad you got to shop without the girls. that is treat!
My hypercolor shirt was orange and yellow and about two sizes two big. I, too, had to pay for mine. It probably didn't go away soon enough. ;o)

I know what you mean about shopping for others even when you're alone. I'm planning a solo shopping trip to Kohl's this weekend but the list for everyone else is longer than for me. :o(

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...