Lucky us...

I am thankful for the rain today. Our lawn has taken on the golden hue of straw, yes, but the rain has cured our need to run, run, run out the door. Our schedule has been jam packed. It is mostly our own doing. Our week days are mostly filled with trips to the pool and the residual bathing suit and towel laundry that follows. I like that kind of laundry.

It's my rainy day, bed head waiting patiently for breakfast.


After another fun packed weekend and a whirlwind Monday of continual in-and-out I took a moment to look around the house. I wondered how it took on such a mess with no one here to mess it up. And then I felt thankful the rain allowed me a day to put the pieces back together.

We celebrated my dad's birthday this weekend. The girls helped open his presents and Kate dressed herself that morning in a black sweater and tights. She refused to wear the skirt.


Playing in Grandma and Grandpa's basement.


This weekend I realized Matt and I have crossed through another parenting right of passage. I can remember the annoyed sighs my mom would mutter whenever us kids whined from the backseat.  "Can I have a drink?" "Can you take my old, rock hard gum from my mouth?" "Are we almost there yet?" Even though I too was ready to release that exasperated sigh I instead responded with a smile and a 'sure' as I held the steering wheel, stretched from the driver's chair and thought back to the time when I was that little girl in the backseat.


So I am actually smiling through the rain and cloudy skies today. Like the stress-free feeling after a good, hard run, today's rain washes away our day to day busyness. The house is a little cleaner and our minds are a little clearer. Bring on the rain.

Comments

Julie Ulven said…
So much sweetness in this blog of yours. I am now caught up.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...