If you give a Sarah a cookie...

...she's going to want some milk to go with it.

Did you get my reference to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?"
If not, then you should check it out at your library sometime.
Great read.
If you are like 8 and under.

The girls and I made cookies this morning.
5 1/2 dozen to be exact.
I'm not sure why the double batch made 5 1/2 dozen instead of 6.
It could be that we made the cookies too large, or the fact that CJ tried to eat her weight in dough.
She's never said the word dough until this morning. And now she says it a lot.

The cookies are molasses.
I've never had any interest in molasses cookies.
Molasses to me looks like crude oil
And why would anyone want crude oil in their cookies.
Despite my distaste for the looks of molasses Matt has carried on for years about the molasses cookies his Grandma Pat used to make and his mom now bakes sometimes.
So I bought a jar of molasses and let it sit in the cupboard for about three years.
When I finally found the courage to bake with molasses I first went to the store to get a new (not 3 year old) jar of molasses and then baked the most delicious cookie known to man, next to Kringla, of course.


Here is the recipe from the cookbook of Pat Craft and LeAnn Craft:

Molasses Cookies
2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C Crisco
1 C sugar
1 egg
1/4 C dark molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger

Combine flour, soda and salt in a medium bowl.
In larger bowl, combine additional ingredients.
Add flour mixture and mix.
Form balls with dough and roll in sugar.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

(Psst...double the batch because they will be gone by the end of the day.)
Oh, and I once used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose white and they turned out great. 
Just make sure you follow the conversion. 1 C minus 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour to 1 C all-purpose white flour.

So good even sleepy children love them...or something like that.

Comments

Mmm...I have a similar recipe that I have made in the past. It sounds really good right now. I even thought about them the other day. Maybe I'll have to make some when it finally cools off enough to justify turning on my oven. :op

P.S. Love the "Mouse Cookie" books. We have every single one (there are actually 7 that I know of), including a treasury book that has songs and recipes. It's too bad I can't find the CD that came with it.
Send us a couple of those cookies.

It is thundering and we hope to get a good rain. Company coming today . LeaRae & Alex from Florida and Marlyn & Jack from Seattle. There is an all school reunion saturday night. Your Dad should come.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...