The Perfect Parent...

Over the past several weeks I have been drafting a letter to the zoo. I intend to send this letter to each and every zoo in the Midwest. I am certain some zoo around here has lost an animal and I believe I found it; disguised in human form with wispy blond hair and stormy blue eyes.

Yes, she is wearing her swimsuit over her clothes and yes, I unsuccessfully convinced her to take it off before going in public today.

We've had a trying day today. Every parent has them. Those days seem to come when you least expect it. This morning the air smelled ripe with fun. But the scent of fun must be a perfume and that perfume was masking the real odor; the stench of out-of-control. 



I really want to be the perfect parent. I don't truly believe that person exists but I want to embody her, if that is at all possible. I certainly didn't appear to be the perfect parent today. After an hour and a half of chasing CJ from her death at the pool, I ended our time there with the bag on one arm and CJ on the other while I danced back and forth from the right poolside to the left trying to attract Kate's attention. I eventually kicked off my sandals, hiked up my swimsuit cover-up and marched waist high into the water, dragging poor Kate out by the arm. (She was supposed to be returning a toy to a friend but decided to perform some leisurely laps instead.) Today my parenting report card reads: *Has no control* *Minimal patience with children*  *Grade: F*

Thankfully I have the opportunity to continue my education and can retake the parenting class tomorrow. Let's just hope my professors don't remember this day. I don't want it to influence the lessons I am sure they will teach tomorrow and the next day and the next.

Of course the day is not all bad. We read books at the lunch table and enjoyed pink lemonade cupcakes. The cupcakes were a treat baked by Matt and the girls while I was out golfing with friends. Matt enjoyed a little parenting reality of his own that night with his hopes of father / daughter bonding being replaced with small fights and spilled batter. Like Matt last night, I too will shake off the troublesome memories of today. I am already laughing at the mental image of me wading into the pool waters with my dress around my waist and two kids in my hands. I'm sure the mental image held by others in attendance are not quite as fond. I must have appeared to be a despicable mother for sure. But there are times I know I must remove myself from the situation before puffs of steam rise and spill from my ears. I knew it was the right thing to do as the rising steam quickly cooled once the girls (especially CJ) were securely locked down in their carseats. 

As I dressed them in dry clothes and kissed their cheeks before nap I knew I was going to find some way to turn this day around. They are sweet angels after all...especially when they are fast asleep. :)


Comments

Alissa said…
Thought I noticed a little steam lingering around you today! You are not alone.....thankfully the good days outweigh the bad ones! You are a great momma!!
I still think you should write for a magazine or something.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...