Dad's Day...

After all the commercial hoop-la surrounding Mother's Day I am surprised to not see much Father's Day coverage.
I did notice a sign or two dangling from the ceiling of Pier 1 reminding women everywhere to buy something special for Dad.
Uh huh, like any Dad would like something from Pier 1.
Happy Father's Day Matt, I bought you a sweet bird sculpture and a 40 piece tulip etched dinner setting.


Tuesday evening during the girls' bath I glanced around the house and thought about how badly this place needed a scrub down. And then I thought...whoa, I have a house to clean. I own a house. I have a husband and two little girls. When did the world decide I was ready for this. I have these mini-realizations all the time. I, of course, already knew these facts but sometimes little things can be big reminders. Learning to tactfully manage tantrums quickly becomes a reminder of adult responsibilities and lost youth.


When I re-realize my realities I am so happy to share all those grown-up responsibilities with this guy. A giant hamburger loving, 6' 4", golf crazed, Iowa State fanatic. On many occasions I would proudly present him with 'Father of the Year,' but I don't own an obligatory brass trophy. Instead the girls and I try to shower him cookie bars, dog piles on the living floor and dance parties to his favorite tunes. 



If I could I would buy Matt, our fathers and our grandfathers everything they deserve.
An iPad. Maybe a flashy, red convertible sports car.
Or a trip to The Masters golf tournament.



But alas, all I have is my blog; an outlet to say how much I value all of you.
Sunday I will arrive bearing gifts; don't think I wouldn't.
But a small gift can't really say it all.

I am so blessed to have men in my life like you.
...Matt, my dad, Mike, Grandpa Smith, Grandpa Holthaus...
I am one lucky lady.

I am forever grateful for the sacrifices you all make each and every day.
What a blessing to have a family full of loving, caring, good-hearted men.


Happy Father's Day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...