Simplicity, part two...

Whew... I've really been thinking lately.

I recently snagged a copy of Simplicity Parenting thanks to Misty and it has been an eye opener.
My interest in this book began several weeks ago at the mom's group I attend.
Our group leader provided a thorough summary of the book's contents and after much discussion I knew I had to get my hands on it.


The book explains how many parents are throwing their children into adulthood long before kids are ready.
Often times it's not even a conscious decision we are making.
Kids are exposed to too much, too fast, too soon in life.

Parents are busy with work, and chores, and 87 news stations telling us the world is about to end and our kids soak all of that in. 
They hear our stresses and breathe them in like oxygen.
Our stress becomes their stress.


Kids have closets and rooms and tubs and bins overflowing with toys.
They have soccer practice and piano lessons and homework and no regular bedtime or meal schedule.


Kids don't have the opportunity for creative play because we have televisions and X-boxes and DS-thing-a-ma-jigs telling them how to shoot people and what's the hottest toy and how to raise a virtual family.


We take them shopping and can't find a toothbrush or a box of fruit snacks not plastered with Hannah Montana or Disney Princesses or whatever things boys like. (I wouldn't know since I have girls.)


And all of this takes a toll on our kids.
They act out through violence, through inappropriate adult behaviors, through desperate attempts for simplicity.

I know a 1st grade teacher who struggles with the effects of this every day.
She has students who occasionally regress with their potty training - in 1st grade!
She has students who are completely disrespectful of her.
She even had to call the police due to a violent 1st grader.

Now, I'm not going to pretend I run a perfect house. FAR FROM IT!
And you'd probably agree if you were at the bakery for lunch today around noon. :)
BUT...

I'm trying.

Sure, my girls have Disney Princess stuff. They have toys. We watch cartoons.
But I work at keeping them young. I want them to enjoy a long, happy childhood.

Building tents, riding bikes, eating with the family, having a day with nothing to do but play, reading kid books, snuggling with attentive parents...these are goals for my family.


How about you? How have you simplified your life?

Comments

l I think Matt would have them going to Iowa State NOW!
Julie Ulven said…
I am trying to spend more time at the park, in the yard and at the craft table (as in artsy craftsy, not your table, Sarah :o). Mieke doesn't really like her toys or play with them so I am wondering what would happen if they just sort of disappeared....a few at a time?
Alissa said…
I am definitely on the "simple life" bandwagon. Haven't read that book but it's definitely how we choose to raise our kids.....I have a feeling they will be happier in the long run! Great post!
Phil and I just talked last night about me simplifying my own life and slowing down myself. I am a project person but sometimes it consumes my time, then I don't have time for the basic daily tasks and I get overwhelmed. So in the next few weeks I plan to finish up my projects and then stop creating new ones unless I have reasonable time planned out to do them. GOAL: Slow down and spend time with my kids.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...