Pedaling away...


Stepping outside this week you might feel a slight hint of warm, yet a jacket is still needed.
The grass is beginning to green however the buds on the trees are nearly invisible.
The sun wants to shine but the leftover clouds of winter linger.

Kids aren't much different.
They want to be big yet their little bodies hold them back from hanging upside down on the monkey bars.
Each day I see a new sign of spring and each day I witness my little girls growing before my eyes.

I bought Kate her first 'big girl' bike today.
Her face lit up when she saw the bike peeking out from the backseat.

Despite the misting and gloomy skies, she was determined to give her new bike a whirl.

Kate is a girl overflowing with self confidence.
She wants to be the winner, the first in line, the first to finish, the best at every thing she tries, sees or does.
I'm shy to share this but she actually calls herself, "the best girl ever."
Sometimes I wish she would show a wee bit more humility and other days I say to myself, "yes, you are the best girl ever, now go conquer the world!" 


Learning to ride a bike, even with training wheels, is not necessarily easy.
I figured that out today after listening to a continually frustrated Kate.

While my legs have known a bike for three decades (YIKES!), Kate's legs have just been introduced.
Her young mind struggled to understand the difference between pedaling forward and backward.

After a few mini-mad-moments however, she was off.
And by the time the rain really picked up, she didn't need me anymore.

In fact, as she pedaled away from me in pants too short for her long legs she actually hollered, "you don't need to follow me mom, I'm a big girl now!"


You might think my heart sunk after hearing those words but you would be wrong.
Kate is growing to be a loving, kind-hearted, hard working girl.
And I love every ounce of her.

**************************************************************

PS: Yes, she is not wearing a helmet. I am aware.

Comments

Yep she is a big girl now.
Julie Ulven said…
Kate told me about this episode of learning to pedal the bike. She was pretty excited about it. I could tell she was frustrated then elated! Those bikes are hard to ride, in my opinion. She IS the best girl in the world. And she looks darn sweet on the that bike. Go Kate!!
Go Kate Go! Biking is such great fun and so is watching your kids do it and love it as well. We'll have to meet up this summer and take the kids biking while we pedal along or jog along with the wee ones.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...