I could get used to retirement...

A short while back I posted that Matt's dad, Mike, retired earlier this month.
Early April brought sunshine, warm breezes and budding trees so I think the switch was probably quite fun for Mike.
The end of April, however, has brought bone chilling, wet weather. I can't say for sure but I imagine Mike, and the rest of us, were enjoying ourselves a bit more a fews weeks ago.

One fantastic spring day last week Mike and LeAnn took the girls for the morning.
I must say, I decided that retirement is my new favorite thing.

CJ and Grandpa four wheeling...

While the girls soaked up some sun with their Grandparents, I took myself out for a mid-morning jog with my iPod followed by a long, hot shower.
Afterwards I was honestly quite dumbfounded with what to do next.
I sure as heck didn't want to clean or organize or anything dull like that.
Rather I retreated to my 'sewing room' and lost myself.

When I finally reemerged I was amazed to find the clock telling me 3 whole hours had passed.
I left the house with a new bag and an incredibly refreshed feeling.

By the looks of it, I believe the girls left the farm with fresh air in their lungs and a pep in the step. 




The country air can sure tire a girl out.
Kate was fully exhausted and ready for a nap.
My other little girl is never ready for sleep...in any form.
Despite her hours of scooping pebbles from the lane, she wasn't too keen on closing her eyes.


And she wasn't too keen on closing her eyes last night either...or right now for a matter of fact.
Miss Claudia, and therefore Matt and I as well, didn't close our eyes until the first bird chirped this morning.
That's right. I finally, exhaustedly convinced CJ to sleep around 5 a.m.
And I as collapsed into bed I noticed the first slivers of morning light beginning to shine, followed by the first chirp of the day.
I promptly buried my head under a pillow and didn't move until Kate tapped my arm at 7 a.m.

Are sleeping pills safe for 20 month olds?
No, really, I'm just kidding.

But back to my point - and I do have one - I am grateful for the relaxing morning last week.
It was incredibly rejuvenating, not just for me but for the girls as well.
And if that morning ever repeats itself I will forgo the run and sewing projects and instead sleep.

Comments

Megan said…
I'm ashamed to admit this, but I too have thought of giving my children medication (cold medicine or tylenol) to help them sleep. I reason that the medicines are safe for treating colds, aches and pains, why not help them get much needed sleep, for their own good (not just the parents). Hope tonight goes better for you!
I remember those days. Gary was the worst for sleeping . I lived on very little sleep.
What a fun day for everyone! I love it that my mom is retired, too. She doesn't live close, but she's a lot more available to come and visit on occasion.

I sure hope you get some sleep tonight!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...