Why feminism isn't all that bad...

I often listen to NPR talk radio in the car.
A much younger Sarah would scoff at the old Sarah for doing such a thing.
But it's my time to listen to adults talk about things other than potty training and feeding schedules.

So while listening to NPR the other day I heard an interview with a woman who has written a book about feminism. She commented that feminism goes through peaks and valleys and today's generation is in a valley because more and more women are choosing to stay home with their children whereas a generation ago women were choosing to claim as much of the workforce as possible. While the latter is true, I disagree with the first part of her statement. I think feminism has given today's generation of women a choice. We can choose to work or we can choose to stay home. Because a greater percentage of this generation than the last is staying home to raise a family doesn't mean feminism is going through a valley, I believe it is a sign that feminism is is flowing stronger and faster than ever. And I feel incredibly grateful for the ability to choose. It works for our family and no one is pressuring me to do otherwise.

I'm not an expert in feminism by any means so don't judge me too harshly. This is simply what I think and how I feel. I will now go kiss my husband and hug my children.

Comments

Unknown said…
I just loved this! I am also an underground NPR listener. I often want to rip my radio out of the car, but I love to sharpen my wits and personal convictions and for that I am grateful for the interesting and provocative topics that they explore each and every day. As for your response....it was right on! :) Not that many would value what I have to say either.
Excellent insight.. I agree, we women are growing to blossom and I love having the choice to work or stay home. I think if feminism means I have to feel pressured to work and not feel free stay home with my kids then I don't want it and I won't support it. I want freedom and options which equals empowerment, that is what I think feminism is about. Go Sarah!
It should be a woman's choice.
What works for one doesn't always for another.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...