My heart swells...

...when I look at these photos.


These are pictures from my Dad's side of the family.
Seeing these photos makes me feel like I am peeking at a side of my family's life I never knew.


My Grandma as a stay-at-home mom and farm wife.
Raising three little kids.
The blue skies and open fields.
The groovy hair styles and young, happy faces.


I've always known my dad as a plastics manufacturing rep. As a Hawkeyes, Packers, Dodgers fan.
I didn't know he used to have bleach blond hair and a giant scrape across his face. (Which I first thought was a temporary tattoo. How silly.)


While I know my Grandpa loves his family. I've always thought of him as a farmer who would occasionally chase you around the house with his pliers if he heard you had a loose tooth. No lie! He is funny!


I also don't think I've seen my Grandpa in many modern day photos without a cowboy hat.
Look at his great swirly hair in the below photo. Not to mention the super old television.
And Grandma, do you still have that table? How cool!




And here is my Great Grandpa, Bocko. I really don't know how to spell it, that is just what we called him.
When he was living, his house had a dirt kitchen floor covered in newspapers. At least that is how I remember the story.


And finally, a four generation photo of Smith men... in front of a combine of course.
I can't believe how much taller my Grandpa is over my Great Grandpa.


Thanks for sharing all the great photos Grandma Smith.
Now I'm motivated to collect some old photos from the other side of my family.

Comments

The man holding a child is my Dad and Your Dad's Grandpa and your Greatgrandpa Olson. He is holding your cousin Brendan.
No dirty floor in thier house.
How fun, it makes me want to see if my family has some old ones. I'm sure they do, somewhere. It's neat to think about our grandma's as stay at home moms (which 99.9% were) and to think that life was just different back then - more relaxed yet more strict. There are great things of the past, but great things now too.
My Dad was Grandpa Walt to the grandkids.
Alissa said…
These pictures are awesome Sarah! My grandma just found a roll of film that was almost 50 years old that she had never had developed - it was so fun to look at those pictures with her!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...