Mom's Morning Out...

For those who don't know what Mom's Morning Out is all about, let me provide a very quick summary.
It's kind of like M.O.P.S. from what I've heard.
I've never actually been to MOPS.
But anyway...
Mom's Morning Out or MMO is held almost every Friday morning.
The first hour is a spiritual based discussion with other moms and a leader.
The second hour you are on your own... to do whatever you want.
Whhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Side note:  I won't be able to go to MMO next year once Kate starts 4 year old preschool due to timing of said preschool.
Sigh.  Weep.  Bawl.

But, I may as well enjoy it while I can.

Back to the topic at hand...
At MMO this morning we had a discussion that was timed up perfectly for me.
What awesome timing God has.

We discussed love and discipline between parents and children.
Here is what I learned...

*Too many commands means your child will fight you on the simplest of tasks...
*The closer your child feels to you emotionally, the better behaved they will be in public and at home...
*Love and Fear are our brain's two true emotions.  Anger is a cover for fear...
*Around the age of 3 or 4 it is more productive to spend your efforts providing love, love, love and provide less punishment and discipline...
*A good parent is not one who tries to make their child perfect...
*Give up the need to look like a perfect parent...
*Spend at least 5 minutes a day alone with each family member...
*Putting love first is putting God first...

Thinking about our discussion today made me realize I do bark a lot of commands to Kate.
I do try to perfect the girls but it is simply because I want them to grow up right, although I think I'm going about it all wrong.  In fact, I know I am going about it all wrong because the girls don't listen to me.  Kate has been fighting me on the tiniest of things.  For example, "Please go potty before bed, honey." "Ahhh, NO, I went potty last week!"  And so on...

There is no such thing as a perfect parent.
I want to constantly be working on becoming a better parent, becoming a better spouse, becoming a better daughter, sister, friend, etc...

I have a lot to work on.
That is a good thing.
I am blessed to have a lot of people to love and I want to love them back... as best as I can learn how.



Comments

You are a good person and a WONDERFUL Granddaughter.
Good tips! Just keep loving 'em up.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...