Rachael Ray: I am so mad at you!

Okay.  So I'm not really, truly mad at Rachael Ray.  I'm just disappointed.  I have the same feelings towards her as I currently have toward Martha Stewart and Real Simple magazine and Better Homes and Gardens.  Why?  Because they lied to me.   

When I was first married I tried my darndest to make fancy, delicious meals that would take eons to cook and would impress my new husband.  And I kept trying after the girls were born.  And I have still been trying all the way until last week.  I have since given up.  No one likes those meals except me and sometimes Matt.  A lot of work for a lot of whining.  So, I've hung up my apron and exchanged it for good ol' fashion church cookbooks with their casseroles, cream of chicken meals and meatloafs...or would it be meatloaves?  Anyway, simple is the name of the game now.  And since I've given up on fanciness I have had happier eaters...well, everyone but CJ.  She only eats toast, mac and cheese and fruit.  That's it.

So, if you got 'em, send me your best church-style recipes.  And I'll send you a fancy, schmancy Rachael Ray recipe.  Bring on the crock pot!

Comments

You know what I would cook. Beef Beef & more beef.Soup made with beef. Chile made with beef.Mashed potatos with beef gravy.

That is GOOD stuff.
Been there, done that. I used to love experimenting with new recipes after we first got married using ingredients I'd never heard of before. We even had a rating system. I loved Real Simple magazine. When kids came along that all went out the window. Real Simple was no longer real simple (and who has time to read a 100+ page magazine anyway?!?)

Since then I have become a huge fan of "Simple and Delicious" magazine from the Taste of Home collection. It allows me to still try some new recipes without going too far outside the box and with a lot less work. I've found some great stuff in there that have become family favorites. It has been on my to-do list to go through the last year's worth of magazines, print out my favorite recipes using the web site and passing the magazines along. I'll move it up the priority list and share them with you as soon as I'm done!

P.S. Lincoln has pretty much only eaten grapes, milk, string cheese and chocolate cake for the last week. :o)
Funny story for you.. Phil got a recipe off of one of Rachel's shows.. one of those where you can cook it in 30 minutes or less. Ha! It was such a joke. I believe we ate supper at about 8pm that night which is really late for us. By the time we "roasted" the red pepper, then cut up the pepper, mushrooms, zuchhini, garlic, and onion.. our 30 minutes was up. We stil had to cook the noodles, defrost and drain the spinach, and mix all the main ingrediants for the sauce together. Although this is one of our favorite pasta dishes, it was tough lesson learned.. DON'T trust the 30 minutes or less meals until you've actually tried it.

Anyways, my latest "old fashioned" food is homemade oatmeal for breakfast. I use 3 cups old fashioned oats, 4 cups milk, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup raisens, 1 diced apple, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Bake in a 2 quart dish at 350 for 45 minutes. It is yum, yum, especially warm out the over. But also good as leftovers. The first time I had it I wanted to add a scoop of icecream but didn't think that was the best healthy choice.

Good luck on your new food search!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...