My heart belongs to quick breads...

Silly title, really, but it is so true.
I love quick breads...banana, pumpkin, zucchini and my newest favorite...apple!

I made two loaves yesterday.
The girls and I knocked out an entire loaf in one day and we just sliced up numero dos.

It isn't some tremendous, earth shattering recipe.
Just found it in the ol' Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.  Something I got as a wedding gift.
I mean, Matt and I got it as a wedding gift.  I've probably gotten more use out of it though.  :)

Make it now.  So delicious.


Apple Bread

1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 beaten egg
1 C sugar
1 1/2 C chopped, peeled apple
1/4 C cooking oil
1/2 C walnuts or pecans (if desired...desired by me but no one else around here....sigh)

1. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan; set aside.  In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.  Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.

2. In another medium bowl combine egg, sugar, apple, and oil.  Add apple mixture to flour mixture all at once.  Fold in nuts.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.  Wrap and store overnight before slicing. 

OR slice it up, slap on some butter and eat it all immediately.
Makes one loaf.

Question:  Do you have a favorite quick bread recipe?   Or is there some other carb-loaded, bready treat you like to make?

Comments

That is what you can do all winter. Bake all these good things and eat. But try your bathing suit on before the pools open.
I really like the zucchini bread recipe in my Better Home and Garden cookbook. It's a little more chewy and not so airy.. I would say similiar to your picture of apple bread. I have some shredded zucchini in the freezer so maybe I'll make some this weekend. Good idea with the cool weather coming!
Julie Ulven said…
I have a spiced zucchini carrot bread that is really yummy. When I find it I can pass it on to you.
I LOVE quick breads, too! I've made a very similar apple bread recipe, but mine doesn't have any oil at all, so it's very low-fat. I usually sprinkle the top generously with cinnamon sugar before baking. It makes it extra yummy!

I have the perfect banana bread recipe from a former co-worker. I've made it so much I practically have it memorized! I can't remember if it's in my blog recipe tab or not. I was also introduced to an amazing pumpkin apple muffin recipe the last time I was back in NW Iowa. I've made two batches since I've been home. I'll have to get it to you sometime. Here's to lots of cold-weather baking!!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...