Appeal Granted

After a very tiring run Saturday morning my legs made an appeal to the Sarah Craft Running Executive Committee arguing that my half marathon running schedule is too difficult.  The appeal was granted and my legs win! 

Last week my legs, specifically my quadriceps, hoofed it through almost every single run.  I guess they never had time to recover from the previous weekend's 11 miler.  And just about the time they were starting to feel a bit better, it was Saturday morning and I had to head out for a scheduled 13 miler.  Well, during that run my quads really started burning.  I'm not injured, they are just extremely sore.  I also noticed I was becoming increasingly thirsty.  I ran to a water fountain and it wasn't working so I turned around for home and realized around mile 11 I had stopped sweating.  That is a big warning sign of dehydration.  With throbbing quads and lack of hydration I decided to call it quits for the day at 11.67 miles.  A little disappointing but I felt it was necessary.  On Sunday, however, my legs ached and burned.  I could walk without problem but if I was sitting and wanted to pick up my legs I'd have to use my hands to physically lift my leg and place it where I wanted it to sit.  With my half marathon less than two weeks away and a scheduled 11 miles for this coming Saturday, I'm afraid my quads won't get a chance to recover before the actual race. SO, long story short, I decided to skip today's 3 mile run and to shorten this weekend's upcoming 11 miler to 7 or so miles.

We'll see how it all goes...

Here is a quick review of my runs last week:
Tuesday: 3 miles in 26:16
Wednesday: Tempo run...7.12 miles in 59:00
  Mile 1: 9:00, warm-up
  Mile 2: 8:15
  Mile 3: 8:03
  Mile 4: 8:04
  Mile 5: 7:55
  Mile 6: 7:53
  Mile 7: 8:43, cool down  (VERY happy with this run!)
Thursday: 3 miles (didn't bother to bring the Garmin so no time to share)
Friday: 4 miles in 35:33
Saturday: 11.67 miles in 1:45:45, average pace of 9:04/mile  blurg, blugh, blah

Here's to tapering for the actual race day!

Comments

You better let up or you might be in a wheelchair for the big wild birthday party.
Julie Ulven said…
Wow, have you tried a Camel Back hydration system? It straps to your back and you suck the water out through a tube and bite valve. On race day you would be handed water and wouldn't have to carry the CB. Just a thought. I have one for a back pack but not for running.

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...