A pie, a celebration and lots of little pirates

I love desserts...but who doesn't right?
I read somewhere that desserts is stressed spelled backwards.
That made me laugh.  And then I ate more desserts.

I have some favorite desserts.
LeAnn's monster cookies and lemon bars.
My mom's kringla.
My Grandma Holthaus' chocolate pie.
My Grandma Smith's apple pie.
My chocolate chip cookies.

Sorry girls, but nothing beats this new favorite.
Amazing.  Delicious.  I made it yesterday and it is almost gone.

Key lime pie.
I've never made it before.  In fact I've never even eaten key lime pie before.
I've had Yoplait's key lime yogurt and it was kind of blah.
Why I decided to make this pie is beyond me but man, oh man, am I thankful I did.

I didn't even try to make this picture look pretty.  That is why it doesn't look pretty.
I had to snap a photo fast before I ate yet another piece.

Here is the recipe.  Hurry, fast, as quick as you can.
Run to the store and buy the ingredients.  You won't be sorry.

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons white sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
3 eggs
1/2 cup key lime juice OR 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice AND 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Mix graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter. Press into 9 inch pie plate and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.


Separate 2 of the eggs, placing the two egg whites into a mixing bowl. Reserve the yolks in another bowl.

To the yolks, add one whole egg, lime juice and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk until smooth. With clean mixer blades or a whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Fold whites into filling mixture. Pour filling into partially baked crust.

Bake in preheated 325 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until set. Let cool at room temperature, then freeze 4 hours to overnight. Let the pie sit out for a few minutes before cutting. Serve decorated with whipped cream and lime slices. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM


On a different topic, Kate PASSED level 1 swimming lessons.
I am SOOOOO proud of her.
To celebrate we went out for donuts this morning before summer reading.  Notice the chocolate on her face!

After donuts we crossed the street and wandered into the library for our last day of summer reading.
Boo hoo.
To celebrate the final day the kids listened to books and made pirate hats.  Here is all of the preschoolers growling like big bad pirates.

And finally, all the kids had a chance to walk the plank.
Despite the serious look on Kate's face, she thought it was awesome.
I heard her say something to Laura the librarian about pretending to be Wendy from Peter Pan.
That girl!

Comments

Pie looks good and so dos the donut.
Escuse the spelling. I am almost 80 years old!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...