Recipe Update

Again, I am behind on my blogging. SO...here I am catching you up on my fun new recipe adventure. A couple of weeks ago I tried out five adventurous items.

Creamy rice with roasted salmon: Weird. But that is because I made a HUGE mistake on this dish. The arborio rice was to be cooked in a dry white wine. I, however, in my rush to get dinner on the table misread the dry white wine ingredient and instead used white wine vinegar!! Matt and I actually ate it but Kate would have enjoyed cat poo more than she enjoyed the rice we put on her plate. Oh, and I didn't even notice my mistake until just now. Yep, I was looking over the ingredients as I began typing this post and just now noticed my big, fat mistake. Haha! I guess you have to learn to laugh at yourself! :)

Goat cheese omelet: Matt and I have never had goat cheese before and now that we have, I believe we will be eating goat cheese again in the future. Kate did not enjoy this meal...at all. In fact I gave her a taste of the goat cheese as I was cooking and she made a funny face but said she liked it. Then about 10 minutes later she pulls some string cheese out of the fridge and says, "I like this cheese a lot better!"

Pork chops with garlicky broccoli: Neh, it was fine. Nothing to write home about. The best thing that came out of this dish is that I discovered how much Kate loves raw broccoli. I barely got the broccoli in the pan before Kate had it all consumed.

Chicken posole: This dish is kind of like a mexican chicken soup and we loved it. Yum, yum...I will make this one again.

Steak with potato-parsnip mash: Hands down THE BEST mashed potatoes I have ever had. I almost wanted to hoard all the potatoes for myself. About half an hour after dinner Matt told me how delicious and satisfying this meal was. It was so yummy that I am salivating just thinking about it. Below is the recipe for the potatoes.

1 lb Yukon golden potatoes, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 lb parsnips (about 2 medium), cut into 1 inch pieces
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/2 C whole milk (although I used 2%)
2 Tbsp butter
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Mash with the milk, butter, scallions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. That's it!! And it was SOOOOOOOOOO terrific!!

Let me know if you try out the potatoes!

Comments

Are scallions like onions? And what is a parsnip? Like a yam only white? Glad you're enjoying the recipies. You're a lot braver than I would be!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...