Recipe Review

Awhile back I mentioned I was going to follow the Real Simple's month long dinner recipes. I put off week two because we were going to be crazy, busy last week. However, I thought I'd provide a review of week one.

Tilapia with peppers and olives
I despise olives so I left them out. The remainder of this meal was delicious! Everyone loved it including Kate. However, we were all left hungry by the end of supper because it was not a very filling meal. Or we are all used to over eating. :) Oh, and this meal literally took me 10 - 15 minutes to prepare.

Beef and bok choy stir-fry
This dish was a big hit with Matt and me. Kate, however, could have cared less. This dish also took very little prep and cooking time. Great for a weeknight meal.

Spicy orange-glazed drumsticks with green beans
LOVED IT! I could have eaten this one all day long. Sadly, Matt didn't care for this one so much. He enjoyed the orange glaze but apparently doesn't like drumsticks. Something I didn't know. Kate really, really liked this one as well.

Roasted pork with brussels sprouts and apricots
I LOVE THIS ONE TOO! So yummy! Matt actually ate some brussels sprouts but said he didn't really like them. Kate didn't like them either. I however ate my portion and everyone else's. I'm obviously the least picky eater in the family. Although I will say that Kate at least tries most everything and Matt's taste buds are ever maturing.

Spaghetti with sweet potatoes and ricotta
Oddly, Matt LOVED this dish and I was just okay with it. The sweet potatoes were really good but it just seemed odd to pair sweet potatoes, pasta and ricotta together. Nonetheless I ate my portion like a good girl.

So there you have it. If anyone would like the recipe to one or all of the dishes just let me know. I'm happy to type them out but I didn't want to do so if no one was going to care. I will type out the tilapia one because I know Lisa is a tilapia fan. But before I do that, let me share with you our recipes for this week.

Pork chops with garlicky broccoli
Steak with potato-parsnip mash
Chicken posole
Goat cheese omelet
Creamy rice with roasted shrimp

Tilapia with peppers and olives
2 Tbs live oil
4 6-oz tilapia fillets
Kosher salt and black pepper
2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 C pitted green olives
1/2 C fresh flat-leaf parsley (I used dried, and not a full 1/2 C)
2 Tbs fresh lime juice

Heat 1 Tbs of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper and cook until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining Tbs of oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the peppers and onion, stirring often, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the olives, parsley, lime juice and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Serve with the fish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...