I'm home!...for a couple of days...

What a whirlwind weekend. I absentmindedly forgot my camera so I have zero pics to share. My sister thankfully brought her camera to the Brewers v Dodgers baseball game so I will hopefully receive those sometime in the near future.

My long weekend started off Friday morning. Kate and I hopped in the car with Matt for a quick court hearing in Cedar Rapids and then we were on our way to Clinton, Wisconsin with a pit stop in Shullsburg, WI for lunch where we ate our weight in cheese. After a long and, thankfully, uneventful car ride we arrived at Josh and Angie's house. Matt and Josh spent a good chunk of their time converting old Iowa State games from VHS to DVD while Angie and I played with the kiddos outside. We, as a group, made a couple trips to the park and visited an enormous, free wading pool in Janesville, WI. It was not the kind of park wading pool from my childhood. This thing was about the size of a traditional pool and never got much deeper than my shins. It had fountains and animal slides and lots of smoking, bikini-clad women with bad hair. Although there were some super nice people too.

After a relaxing visit with Josh and Angie we hopped back into the car for a trip to Milwaukee for the Brewers v Dodgers game. We met up with my mom, dad, sister, brother and his girlfriend. My dad, sister, brother and his girlfriend sat 12 rows back from the Dodgers dugout where they could see the players' actual faces while Matt, Kate, my mom and I sat in the nosebleed section. We sat this way because a)we couldn't get more than four seats together in the good section, b)we knew Kate wasn't going to sit well anyway so money spent on good seats for us were more than likely going to be wasted and c)it was my dad and brother's birthday so that is the whole reason we were at the game in the first place.

After a few innings Kate was riled up so Matt took her to a playground inside the stadium. Unfortunately all kids had to have socks to play and Kate didn't have any. So when the workers/sock guards weren't looking Matt hoisted Kate over the fence and into the play area. She was successfully smuggled in there for over half an hour until a sock Nazi finally spotted her and told her to leave. All in all I had a great time at the game although I'm sure some other folks from my group would be able to tell more stories about the actual game. Dodgers won by the way which made my dad's birthday a little brighter.

Oddly, I almost cried three times at the game. I know! How embarrassing to cry even once at a major league baseball game and I did it almost three times. The first time came during the National Anthem which was sang by a young boy from the Make-A-Wish Foundation. I just kept thinking that him singing at a Brewers game was probably his dying wish and the whole sadness behind that. The second cry came when I went to check on Matt and Kate in the socks-only play area and found Matt frantically trying to direct a crying Kate on how to get out of the playground. She was inside one of the play things with dozens of kids crammed around her and she panicked. Kate wouldn't go forward or backward, partially because there were too many kids and partially because she was very confused. I felt so awful for her. And finally the third almost cry came when I said goodbye to Matt and Kate before hitting the road to Chicago for the next couple of days. And what made that even more traumatic was that I got turned around in the parking lot and couldn't find lot 4. So I ask a parking attendant for help and they told me lot 4 doesn't exist. Really?! Because I parked the car by a giant sign that said LOT 4! After finding my car I almost drove back to yell at the guy but thought better of it.

So after a two hour ride which I thought would only take one hour, I arrived in Chicago and had a great time with my friend, Jen. She has a two month old little boy named Charlie who is super adorable and a really great baby. We went shopping at IKEA...one of my fav stores....as well as H & M. I found so many things I wanted to buy at H & M but didn't since I couldn't exactly try them on considering the current size of my abdomen. But I did make out well at IKEA, including some fun things for the baby's room. I'll post pics after I get the room put together.

And on Tuesday I finally headed for home dreading the car ride but excited to see Matt and Kate. Unfortunately I unnecessarily made the trip about an hour longer for myself after missing my exit for Highway 20 thanks to construction and my wandering mind. I didn't realize the mistake until I saw a sign saying I was in South Beloit, WI. Are you freakin' kidding me?!?! I had to pull over, laugh at myself and then find my atlas so I could redirect myself in the appropriate direction for home.

Oh, and I can't forget Matt's story about his arrival home Sunday night. My folks drops off Matt and Kate at home around 10:30. Matt walks into the house and hears Baxter the cat frantically scratching at the guest bedroom door...from INSIDE the guest bedroom door. Baxter somehow was shut up inside that room from Friday morning until 10:30 Sunday night. No food, no water and no....litterbox!!!! Somehow the sleeping porch door was open so she did all of her business out there. This is great news in a bad situation because at least the sleeping porch is all wood and MUCH easier to clean than the guest bedroom. We have no idea how the porch door came open or how Baxter was locked in the bedroom but it happened. So I guess Matt gets Baxter's messes cleaned up when Kate awakes at 11:30 with poopy pants. And Matt then has to clean up that mess. Finally, he goes downstairs to find dirty dishes in the sink and flies all around them. (We REALLY need to get that dishwasher installed!) So Matt cleans up yet another mess and finally hits the sack at 12:30 all so he can get up six hours later and go to work.

Despite any small troubles, we had a great weekend. Now it is time to wash all the laundry and pack up again for a trip to Lawton, IA this Friday. Hope you too had a great weekend!

Comments

Oh Sarah... how our lives go. I hate the sappy moments, especially when out in public and around people I don't know. Sometimes, there is just nothing that can be done except get it out. Glad you had a good weekend overall!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...