Sarah 'Prefontaine' Craft

I have been running for years and for the most part I love it. I am very competitive in races, however, so I have to tame myself from starting out too terribly fast. Usually what happens is that I get passed by A LOT of people but a couple miles down the road, I pass them right back and we never meet again. I LOVE that feeling. So I knew walking the La Porte City 5K this morning was going to be a mental struggle for me.

When I woke up this morning I was prepared to walk the race. I didn't even think twice about trying to jog a little. But when all the walkers and runners got behind the starting line and the gun fired...I literally yelled, "I really want to run." But I held my cool and began my slow, tedious walk. I could feel my paper race number pinned to the back of my shirt. (It was on my back because there was NO room on my belly!) I felt like a joke walking with a race number attached to me. It was as if the number was a neon sign announcing my inability to run. And I couldn't take it anymore....I started running. I passed two people and crossed the finish line with a huge smile on my face. I think I am more proud of my running today then I am of my 1:48 half marathon. Rather than wanting to hide my large preggo belly, I wanted to show it off. Look, I'm running and my belly is larger than my head!! Look, I'm running while literally carrying a kid!! Look, I'm running and I can't see much of my feet!! What a wonderful feeling!!

Oh, and for those wondering the meaning behind my post title....it is in reference to the 1970's running legend Steve Prefontaine.

Comments

Good for you--go for it! I knew someone when I was in college who ran the Pikes Peak marathon (up the mountain and back down again) when she was 8 months pregnant. I only made it 2/3 of the way up when I attempted a leisurely hike and I was definitely not carrying around a kid!

Popular posts from this blog

The dark day of June 27th...

The other side of the dark day...

October things...